What do you do when a death is caused by something that’s considered “safe” — so safe, in fact, that it’s sold in grocery stores and even marketed specifically to young people?

That’s what’s at stake in this story, about a young girl who passed away at a tragically young age, simply for consuming something that most of us have at least tried a few times. Find out what doctors are saying killed her — and what you can do to help her grieving family — in the story below.

In the summer of 2014, Lanna Hannam traveled to Mexico for the weekend.

She was 14 years old, and she was vacationing with a few friends and their parents on the beach.

In the summer of 2014, Lanna Hannam traveled to Mexico for the weekend.

Until then, she was a happy, healthy teenager.

 

Until then, she was a happy, healthy teenager.

Lanna mysteriously went into cardiac arrest on the beach, despite the fact that she’d had no previous health issues. Tragically, she died as a result.

During a long beach day, the unthinkable happened.

When her parents got the news, they couldn’t understand what must have happened.

That’s when they learned the shocking truth: Lanna hadn’t had any water the day of her death, and all she was drinking was Red Bull.

When her parents got the news, they couldn't understand what must have happened.

According to experts, it’s the high levels of caffeine and sugar in these kinds of energy drinks that can lead to some pretty serious outcomes.

So how could this have caused her death?

Lanna’s mom went public with the news, and cardiologist Jack Wolfson agreed that the consumption of Redbull is what caused her death.

 

Lanna's mom went public with the news, and cardiologist Jack Wolfson agreed.

They believed that at the time of her death, Lanna was addicted to energy drinks.

That addiction, combined with the lack of water in a day full of hot son, lead to her cardiac arrest and ultimately, her death.

They believed that at the time of her death, Lanna was addicted to energy drinks.

And as you can see, it’s not just energy drinks that are the culprits.

 

And as you can see, it's not just energy drinks that are the culprits.

Now that she’s gone, all her parents can do is hope that others learn from her story.

They hope to educate others on the dangers of consuming too much sugar and caffeine.

Now that she's gone, all her parents can do is hope that others learn from her story.

They also struggled with another harsh reality.

They were having difficulty getting the permits and funds they needed to transport her body back to the states, adding another tragic layer to this already heartbreaking story.

They also struggled with another harsh reality.